Friday 24 February 2012

Our dears.....Ex VoluntEErs!



Hello!!
I am Isabelle from Düsseldorf,Germany. And I came here to Greece at the beginning of July 2011 and I will stay until the end of March 2012.
I chosed to do EVS because I wanted to get a deeper insight in the "everday life" of an other country and its culture. Also for me it sounds interesting to make connections with other young people from different countries and to learn a new language. Besides of this, it was for me also important, to get some work experience before I will decide what I want to do when I go back to Germany.
I was never before in Greece, but for me Greece seemed to be really atractive because of it warm weather and because of its beautiful islands, cities and landcapes. Also I chosed Greece because it seemed to be so different than Germany and I wanted to"experience" an other way of lifestyle. 
So for all of that i was volunteer in Edra and I worked in the bording house Hippocrates I. There, my daily tasks were to prepare the coffee and fruits with the residents. Besides of this, I coloured with them pictures and supported the stuff by outsides programm for example to the cafeteria, to the bakery, to the open market or in the summer to the sea. 







Geia Sas Koritsia kai Agoria!

Giving the first few puffs on my experience as a volunteer, my only vices that it costs me money ... I think today is a good time to enjoy the small but unrepeatable memories I have in my mind about this experience.

Im Julia from Spain, and i am volunteer in Edra. I came to Athens in September, not knowing much about the city and the country in general, so I came here with a lot of motivation and enthusiasm, while a degree of uncertainty and fear of not knowing the what could be here. The early days were exciting while somewhat stressful because I could not communicate easily with my roommates, my tutor, workers, users ... but is a barrier that every day, with effort and self confidence have been overcome.

During these months my main focus has been on the job doing what he could: have been and are still so many handicaps with which I have found that I'm mainly trying to facilitate their work and daily life in general.I realize that communication is one of the cornerstones of our work in the center, but I think people somehow we can communicate well with the language of emotions and really is very gratifying to know that somehow you communicate with a person even though they do not speak the same language. These are still one of the most intense months of my life, all is still easy because, to be honest, I was unaware that Athens was a city so great.The country is facing a critical moment and that is felt in all areas.I did not realize when I arrived, that the social and economic situation was so difficult for the country and its people but I had the opportunity to work in a new environment, meet lifestyle (Greek and English) completely different, learning a new languageand strengthen ties of friendship really is an experience that made me grow, is an opportunity for personal growth, a way to start finding my own way thanks to the confidence they give you the various project members.

All this has made me see the great need that people have, sometimes, just for a little attention, to be heard, a caress... also made me appreciate more what I have and feel happy to do something for others.







Hello everyone!

My name is Klinta, I am from Riga, Latvia. I was volunteering in Greece 9 month since April 2011 till January 2012.
I chose to do EVS, because it is great opportunity to go out from my routine environment and see something new, different, what give me new experience and change my perception of life, how different and awesome it can be! I also wanted to explore other country and culture. And it is interesting to meet a lot of people from different country’s, with different spirit of life. Also I wanted to get new experience doing my work. Before I haven’t been in Greece and my imagination about all country was different, so I also change my stereotypes about country and culture.
I was working in EDRA in the boarding house Hippocrates I. There I usually prepare the coffee and fruits with the residents. Also I color with them pictures, play Tavli and go with them outside to the cafeteria, to the bakery or to open market. Volunteering is just something great, it is chance to see, do and be active.,meet new people and spend great time! I am very, very satisfied with volunteering job and organization!
And yes, night life in Greece- never stops!
People, need to broke
everyday life, stay cool, enjoy!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment